Today was very successful! Not only did Clinton and I check a lot off of our to-do list, but I also found out that "Git-R-Done" is actually in the urban dictionary...nice!
This morning a friend picked us up and took us to the base. This is the first time since I've been here that I was able to go on post. We were able to sign me in and get some of the never ending paperwork finished! From there, I was allowed to go shopping!! Anyone who knows me, even in just the smallest sense, knows I like to go shopping...especially for house-wear items! I think the hallelujah chorus rang as I threw cookie sheets, baking pans, and my swiffer-wet-jet into the cart. Confetti fell from the ceiling and everyone in the store broke into song...
Maybe not. But it was exciting nonetheless.
I know this is something everyone can relate with...starting out. Starting out buying groceries can be a little daunting. "What should we buy?" The real question should be, "What shouldn't we buy?" I mean...Mothers always just have things. Their spice cupboard just replenishes itself while you sleep. And little elves restock the pantry while you are gone. But when you are just starting out you have to buy things like pepper!? Daunting...yes a little. But I'm enjoying it :) We celebrated our brand new items by cooking tonight! (and by "we" I mean "I" ;)...yes that's right... I slaved for a whole 15 minutes as I cooked an american staple... spaghetti! Super, super hard, strenuous cooking for sure. ;)
I did what I knew I was going to do...even though I told myself not to...I did it...and I knew I would...
I went to the commissary without a list. You always think you will remember what you had intended to buy...and then you get there, and nothing makes sense in your head anymore. I want to make cookies this week so I grabbed everything I could think of that might be in cookies. "Baking powder? Baking soda? Baking powder? Baking soda?"... eh who knows. They are both white and taste bad by themselves...just grab both! :)... don't tell my mother I'm saying this...she'll blush.
I learned something else new at the commissary... There are friendly ladies who push your groceries out and load them in your car for you! I also learned that when the only thing you give them is a smile and a polite "thank you," they glare at you :) (Welcome to Korea, Newbie!) Yes, that's right...I found out that these friendly ladies are paid only by tips. Good thing I wasn't alone and I had a friend politely tip the lady for me.
Don't you just wish you could be a fly on the wall...
We also were able to go to the realtor today. Clinton told me she would be excited to meet me. She was probably one of the nicest most expressive Korean ladies I've met thus far. She was super nice, and at the end of our visit gave me a hug...and a complimentary mug! :) She was so nice that when she was talking I wanted to make sure I was paying attention and giving the right responses..... =)...... I frantically watched her mouth move but only caught about every 12th word. I tried. Really, I did. I did a lot of smiling and nodding and then at the end she would say... "understand?" "Uuh huh =) =)!" Luckily, Clinton has lived here for a while and caught every 5th word...so he had a good idea what she was talking about. I figured if it was anything really important... I'd be getting a phone call later... or an eviction letter or something.
All in all it was a good day. Now we have a little less hanging over our head and a little more time to do some fun things together. I had lots of fun running around with Clinton today. It's nice to be together...with our naughty naughty puppy dog. :) That's all from Korea... lot's of love to everyone back home!
We miss you!

Sounds like a fun productive day! Your posts make me smile=). Love you and look forward to talking to you soon.
ReplyDeletelove, Mom
you crack me up, good buddy. i laughed a lot. i'm glad you got a lot done... and i'm glad you updated (more importantly). i love you. and i miss you. do you know how many times i wanted to text you in the last week about random stupid things that only you would understand? a lot! have a great day, hilry.
ReplyDelete