Monday, November 22, 2010

So much to say... not enough brain-power

Well...where do I start. I feel like I haven't written in a while, so I'm not quite sure where to start...

I have been living in Korea two weeks from yesterday! I'm basically a native. We went to church yesterday for the first time. Missionary Baptist Church in Osan. It was nice to get out and meet some new people and to be back in the Lord's house.  We also got a free newcomers mug. Between Church and the realtor, Clinton and I are never going to have to buy coffee mugs.

After church we went the the Air Force base there in Osan and ate lunch.... at Chili's!!


We were able to go to the PX (Post Exchange.)  In order to go into the commissary or the PX you must have your military I.D. and your rations card.  I always forget... I just try to walk in... then once I am reminded, I have to dig through my purse to find my wallet and then dig my cards out of there. This process takes quite a while. Clinton loves going with me :) 

Speaking of going places together...
On Clinton's days off we have been able to enjoy each others company by going on some special dates.  There is a street of shops, restaurants and bars right outside the gates that is referred to as "The Ville." Clinton and I have enjoyed eating at "Puffins" and "Italy Pizza." 
Our "usual"...hawaiian at Italy Pizza
Puffins is a cute restaurant on the second floor of a stacked building. That's how most everything in Korea is...stacked...one business or apartment on top of the other.  It was nice to see other american families scattered throughout the restaurant. The walls were covered in pictures of american icons, like Marilyn Monroe and country cottage looking american flags. It's a very cute restaurant with good food (eh hem...american food :D!)  We have also ventured a little further away from base where we ate Korean food, caught a movie (yes...in english) and some Baskin Robins.  I don't usually feel conspicuous in public...until I notice people looking at me.  Who knows...maybe I'm just paranoid.  

The first couple of days after I got here random Korean men, mainly cab drivers, would tell Clinton I was "very beautiful"...Clinton said to me later, "Maybe they think you are pretty because here being pail is pretty...I mean not that it's not in America...I mean....."  So now I go tanning twice a day.
 ...haha. I'm just giving him a hard time. I knew what he meant, and it's true... in Korea, to be light skinned is better and I believe that blondes are "good luck."  Looks like all those years of being called "pasty" have paid off...maybe I'll just stay here forever. Nope, bad idea.

So, I was telling you about our dates and I got side tracked. Ah yes, our dates are fun and special :) I love spending time with Clinton.  This past saturday we walked to the base to catch a movie. There is one movie theatre on base and it is free. It only has one theatre room so they just play different movies at different times of the day.  We were going to see Megamind...


...a cute animated kids movie.

We arrived slightly late and had missed any previews.........
............ummmmm..........
Clinton and I both looked at each other, "I don't think this is Megamind..."
nope, it was Machette


Mmmm....gore movies are my FAVORITE! (not)
When the lights came up I realized I was one of about 8 other girls and a couple hundred guys...go figure. :P

Oh well, I can't complain too much...at least I was with Clinton. 

I've got lots of tangents going on in this post...my mind is a little scattered...

I made chicken and rice casserole the other night...
One of my favorite meals. Chicken covered in calories...Mmmm.
It was....a disaster!

  My sister and I were talking today about how sometimes you have those moments when you know how to do something...you know the right way...and you've done it before...successfully. But for some reason you have those days when your brain must shut partially off and you make mistakes like you've never done the task before in your entire life. You know... when you are cooking something, temperature does matter. I was feeling lazy the other day and just cranked the oven on...mind you, it's in celsius.  I think I had my oven on way above the needed temperature.  Did you know that rice can be both mushy and crunchy all in the same dish? It is very possible. I can demonstrate for you if you'd like.  Clinton was a sweetie pie and took seconds :) ( I think he actually liked the crunchy burnt rice) ha.

Since we are on the topic of cooking... have you ever tried to fit a frozen roast into a tiny crock pot? If you haven't, I can tell you it won't fit. This is what I was looking at this morning...trying to figure out what to do.



Now before you pass judgement...which I know everyone is :) I knew I was buying a large piece of meat...but we don't have the largest meat selection at the commissary...in Korea... for obvious reasons.  Don't worry, I figured it all out. I doubt that I was up to sanitary code and it did require some muscle...but I got the job done.

Koreans are very energy efficient and they recycle everything. They are energy efficient because energy is very expensive here, but they recycle because they have too.  It's not an option. My theory is that it's because it's such a small country...what else would they do with all the trash? :P  So I have bought the special trash bags and I've been trying my best to separate everything.  Even the smallest tasks can be a little overwhelming at times. I never know what to do with packaging... I have conversations with myself (in my head of course...I'm not completely crazy!)... "This is cardboard, but it has plastic on it...hmmm... well I think it's more cardboard than plastic...it's about 60/40...hmmm....I just don't know. I don't want to get it wrong..." I feel like I'm taking a test every time I throw something away. I hate tests. Anyways, they also have a little orange bag covered with Hangeul  (korean writing)...this bag is for food only. Ick! 

I realize now why some families make their kids eat all the food on their plate...
they probably don't have a garbage disposal.  
All this time I didn't understand... I get it now... I understand. 
 I see why you don't want food left on the plate...because you have to find some way to get rid of it...in our case, a little tiny orange bag. I've noticed I have bad aim and I usually spill half the food before it makes it into the tiny little bag...so I've opted for the toilet :D ...that is, I scrape the extra food into the toilet. What did you think I meant?  
Yes, there is no other appliance I miss more than a garbage disposal. 
But, there are so many other good things to be thankful for...I think I will be just fine without it. ;)

I hope everyone is having a fun week getting ready for Thanksgiving! There is so much to be thankful for :) Lots of Love.





1 comment:

  1. So i was reading your blog and i got to the part about being in the house of the Lord and i couldn't help but think of Madea Goes to Jail. "I can feel Him in my spirit... Praise the Lordt, Halleluier, thank God..."

    ReplyDelete