Tuesday, November 9, 2010

한국에 환영- Welcome to Korea

We made it! Whit and I made it to Korea...by ourselves. My first time flying alone. Whit's first time flying...but we did it!



Yes, Korea greeted me with that same korean smell that I don't think I will probably ever like. There is no way to really explain it...it just smells like korea.  Once I landed I went through the oh so scary immigration! dun dun duuuun. It's really not that bad. In fact it's pretty painless...just a little stamp in the passport. But, every time I feel like I'm gonna get in trouble.  Nevertheless, once that was done we continued on to baggage and the pet quarantine office. Not to be confused with the human quarantine office...don't laugh, I stopped there too...and yes, the lady laughed at me. After that, I was free to walk through those big sliding doors into the real world...to finally give Clinton a long awaited hug! Unfortunately he didn't see me and I didn't see him :P...but after a few minutes we found each other and were together at last.

Clinton was able to get a ride to the airport from one of his military friends. He brought his wife and little boy along. It was a blessing to have them help us. My first military wife sighting! I'm just kidding... but it was definitely a nice relief to meet a fellow military wife in Korea. It made the scariness a little less scary.

I noticed the ocean and mountains more this time.  Korea is much prettier than I had remembered.  It is filled with buildings, towers, sky-scrapers, smoke stacks...and random weird structures that I have no idea what they would be used for. The landscape changes very quickly. For example, on one side of the apartment I can see little houses roads, and buildings. On the other side I see larger apartment buildings. a random field and one of those random structures...it looks like a driving range...it's all so very random.

The apartment is very modern and nice. we have sliding windows and a sliding door at the entrance. A shoe closet right inside the door...because you take your shoes off at the door and leave them there.  Koreans traditionally sleep on beds with wood and a slab of stone (like granite) with a mat on top...soooo you can imagine that the mattress is a little firm. It doesn't keep me awake though...although that could just be the jet-lag.


I'm sure I'll have more to write about once I actually leave my apartment. Until then, I'm just dropping in to say hi.

No comments:

Post a Comment