Monday, February 28, 2011

{ the little Korean lady that made me cry }

I went to Sunday school yesterday and at the end of the class they took time to ask for prayer requests. It was getting late and the class needed to end in order to make it to church on time. Women all over the room chimed in with their particular prayer request. I noticed one lady in particular. She was a little Korean lady in her late 50's or so. She was trying to get a word in edgewise, but other, louder voices cut her off. Finally she was able to share her request. She said that her mother went to the doctor because her arm was hurting and that they found out that there was something wrong with her back. She went on to say that her mother wasn't eating and was very thin and weak. I had turned around so that I could see her as she spoke. You could see in her eyes that she was really thinking and then her eyes filled with tears. She said, "I'm just realizing she might not have much time left." I couldn't help it, I started tearing up. Watching her face, it almost seemed as though that was the first time she had uttered those words out loud. Like it was just hitting her that she was losing her mom. Some of the other ladies were too concerned with the time and some had already moved onto the next thing. They were whispering about this or that and some missed the woman's request altogether. Something about that lady and her request, seeing the sadness in her eyes as she had this realization just made me want to hug her. I might never ever see her again, I don't know her name or where she lives or her mothers name but I know she will stick with me for a long time. I came home later that day and told Clinton the story and started crying even then.  If you think of it, pray for this lady's mom.  Pray that she will come to know Jesus and that her daughter can live with the peace of knowing her mom is with the Lord.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it great to see how God uses others to "prick our hearts!" The meaning in Acts 2:37 is to lay open, to pierce into. Being able to cry with people is involved in being Christlike. Often Christ was "moved with compassion" and we need to be also! The key is to allow God to move you into action. Thanks for sharing this experience! Dad Ellis

    ReplyDelete