Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving Surprise

Happy Thanksgiving! I don't know if it's the abnormally warm weather or the fact that Clinton isn't here, but it does not feel like Thanksgiving already.

Sometimes life is rough, but there is always something to be thankful for. :)


Caius had a febrile seizure yesterday afternoon. I'll be honest, it was scary. He woke up from a nap with a fever of 103. I had called the Dr.'s office and the nurse thought it was most likely a virus and told me what to look for if things got worse. He was really lethargic and not himself. When I looked into his eyes he didn't look all there. He laid on my chest for a while, with limp arms, not moving. If you've ever held that wiggle worm you know that, that never happens. I gave him a dose of Ibuprofen in hopes of lowering the fever and Emily took over for me and held him for a bit. About five minutes after he had taken the medicine he began seizing. At first it looked like he was just about to throw up, but when I got closer and could see his face I knew right away what was going on. I made a b-line for the phone to call 911. It's funny how many times we rehearse "9-1-1" from the time we are little, yet when I was in the moment I could hardly remember the numbers to dial. 

I couldn't stay in the room to watch. It was my little boy's body, but Caius was nowhere to be found. He looked empty. It looked like his body and spirit were fighting and his body was winning over. My little spunky, happy, ornery "bootsie" looked lifeless and pale.

I waited by the window, for what felt like forever, waiting for the ambulance to arrive. When the truck pulled up, Caius was no longer seizing. He was just laying on the floor next to aunt Emily, who was with him through the whole thing. His eyes were closed. His body was still. 

I didn't know then what I know now. At the time, I looked at his still body from across the room. I didn't know if he was passed out, breathing, or even still alive. All I knew was that he had a fever, started seizing and was now laying still on the floor. It was scary. 

The EMT's were all very nice, calm and helpful. On the way to the hospital they kept telling me how cute Caius was. I assured them he's a lot cuter when he's more himself... and talking. I was doing a little bit better (not crying) in the ambulance until the EMT asked if his dad was at work. I nodded. I didn't want to talk, because I knew if I did it would be in a really weird crazy lady sob voice. Then he asked if I had called him yet. I shook my head, no. Then I blurted out in my awkward, shaky, cry voice, "He's in Afghanistan."

The Dr. discovered that Caius has really bad Tonsillitis which caused the high fever. A sudden increase or decrease in his fever is what likely caused the seizure. Like I said, had I known then what I know now, the whole experience probably wouldn't have been AS scary as it was. Now I know that febrile seizures are not all that uncommon. 1 in 25 babies experience them. I was also assured that, while it is possible, it's not likely he will have another one. The other good news is that children outgrow this.

The word of the day is Thankfulness. I have an innumerable amount of Blessings that I could be thankful for. My family, Clinton's safety, Caius, a secure job, food on the table, a loving and supportive husband, my salvation, green bean casserole, naughty puppies, and the hope that even if all of those things were stripped from me I could still find true Grace and Joy in Christ. 

I am thankful that Emily was holding Caius at the time, I'm thankful I was at my parent's house, that we weren't in the car when it happened. I'm thankful that the EMT's were so understanding and comforting, that the doctors were nice and knowledgable, and that Caius doesn't have epilepsy or any other serious medical issues. I'm thankful my mom woke up in the night with me when Caius woke up crying. I'm thankful that we could enjoy Thanksgiving with Grandma and Grandma Ellis this afternoon, and for the invitation to spend the night this evening while Caius is still sick.  

I am also thankful that I was able to chat with Clinton last night. Even though he's not here, just talking to him makes everything seem better :) He gives me the little boost to keep going and the assurance that everything is going to be alright.

I'll bet we won't forget Caius's first Thanksgiving!

We just need to kick this Tonsillitis in the rear so that we can get our little spunky Caius back!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Pastor. We really appreciate your prayers and thoughts. I'll be glad when we can all take our yellow ribbons down! Until then, we'll just all keep praying :)

    ReplyDelete