Tuesday, February 15, 2011

bus rides, pig heads, and ice cream cake

Korean Air. Not only do they have cool commercials but, the planes are pretty nice and the service is good. Much better than any American airline I've been on. Plus the flight attendants are all really pretty and wear neat outfits. (which is crucial, you know) In fact, once you wake up from your eleven hour nap...after you wipe your drool off the person next to you...you'll notice that the flight attendants all look like they just got on the plane. Their makeup is perfect and their hair buns are still intact. Meanwhile, my hair is a rats nest and my mascara is running down my face. Anyways, this is a little clip of what the Korean Air flight attendants look like. They are so cute and they even have matching tan coats when they get off.




I must say though, that the advertisement portrays a "mulit-cultural" flight staff, but I've never seen a non-korean flight attendant.

Well....Happy Valentines day!...yesterday.

Clinton worked valentines day, so I spent it with the dogs while he spent the evening in the "box" :)
We were able to spend a valentines brunch together though :)


We had the hugest french toast everrrrr! The lovely valentines decorations are courtesy of my mother-in-law :)



We had some after breakfast snuggles before Clinton had to go to work. Look at how big Avery is! He just flops when you pick him up. silly duck.


My turn! I'm wearing Clinton's lovely valentines gift around my neck. What a sweetie :)


Now we are ALL snuggling at the kitchen table :)

I had planned on being gone this afternoon as a friend and I planned on going shopping in Pyeongtaek so I spent all last night getting stuff ready. I cleaned the floor, did all the laundry, washed the dishes, made dinner for tonight, made brownies and vaccumed... which means that I should really plan on being gone more often! I get way more accomplished that way :) I mean, I was only planning on being gone a couple of hours....

So today I went with a friend to the Korean dollar store or "won store." Then we ventured out into the market. Fishy, fishy, slimy, meaty, dead things. Yep, that pretty much sums it up! Just kidding. It was neat to see. I like to look at everything even if there is no chance on earth I'd buy it.


This market in particular is enclosed and open every day





There were lots and lots of nuts!


There are tons and tons of squirmy wormy looking things









I thought the fish smell was a little gross, but not too bad. I'd take the fish view over what we found later. There was a section we walked through that had parts...like cow parts, pig parts...I'm not really sure what they belonged to...because there were only PARTS! yuck. 




I believe those are octopuses 




I believe these are dried fish. There are a lot of dried fish here. I'm not sure exactly what they do with it, but it comes in varying sizes. Some are itty itty bitty, teeny teeny tiny.


In case you can't tell, this is millions of billions of shrimp. I don't think I will look at popcorn shrimp the same.


I honestly have no idea what 75% of the stuff I walked by today is.


I CAN tell you that these are peppers...I figured that much out by myself :P



If you need a pig...or what's left of it, or if you need a spine, I can hook you up. Just facebook me. :D


Ah Ha! Produce. I did buy some oranges/clementines :) nothing fishy or fleshy for me though!


People often joke, "don't let them get a hold of your dog! :D" because Asians in general are known for eating dog. In Korea it's called, "Gaegogi," pronounced kay-go-gi. I would say Gaegogi is more of a delicacy than a typical Korean meal.

Today as we were walking along the market streets I kept my eyes on the ground mostly making sure I didn't step in some kind of fish juice. I saw to the right of me some body parts and realized I've never seen a pig like that. It took me all of about a second to realize it was a dog. Key word, "was." You know how a dog lays on it's back begging for a tummy scratch... imagine that only furless and the abdomen is chopped in half.  Keep in mind these are large dogs. Not like little Whitaker. Being a dog owner it made me kinda squeamish... especially after we had seen, pig insides, fish, squid, and......eel.

I got over the squeamish feeling pretty quick and was able to force myself to eat a treat from smoothie king :P It really wasn't hard, because it was delicious. 

Baskin Robins has these amazing cakes that look nothing like anything I've seen in America. I bought an ice-cream cake for my sweetie today.


They put it in a box with dry ice :) I had no idea.






It's just so pretty. It is blueberry cheesecake ice-cream in the middle and strawberry cheesecake ice-cream around the edge!

I thought I would take a picture of the dogs so everyone could see how much Avery has grown...


This is how it always is. constant moving. He thinks he needs to attack my lens!


Whitaker looks the same :) she's getting a mullet on the back of her head and her tail hair is getting longer. She is just a goofy dog. 


Avery is a piglet and would eat all day if I'd let him. He LOVES food! He's a growing boy though so I guess it's to be expected. :)


Whit is always doing something! always into something, chewing something, chasing something... She keeps me busy!

Tonight after I got home from the market and Clinton left for work, I was sitting on the couch when Avery started barking all of a sudden. Unlike Whit, Avery doesn't usually bark at nothing. He was in the kitchen, where I couldn't really see what was going on. Have you ever seen a dog in the same room as a snake? Me neither. But I imagine the dog would react like Avery was tonight. His ears perked up, he was barking and running away from whatever it was. I was fearing the worst and thought it might be a mouse or something nasty like that. I was already planning what I would do if it WAS actually a mouse. I concluded that I would run to the bedroom and shut myself in with my cellphone. I tried to send Whit out to the kitchen to see what the fuss was. I figured if she started barking too then I'd know there was something really out there. She just kept staring at me like I was gonna give her a treat or something like that. Soooo, I HAD to get up and check it out myself. it was...a ribbon! Really, Avery? The ribbon from the ice cream cake had fallen on the floor.... He got me all nervous over a little fuchsia ribbon!  He proved to me tonight how much of a scaredy cat he is. What a goofy guy!



2 comments:

  1. Oh my word! When you said have you ever seen a dog in the same room as a snake, I thought that was what was going to be in there! Phew! just a ribbon. At least too you weren't home alone and he started barking at "something" behind you (leopold!) So creepy... what is it with our family and barking at nothingness, or ribbons? I bet the market was an interesting cultural experience. The fishiness might have done me in, but I enjoyed the pictures =) And that cake was awesome, very fancy! Since you guys are coming back it doesn't look like a trip over is probably going to work out for us, but I'm kind of bummed because I've heard so much about Korean Air! It seems like they were going for the model look in that commercial- and it's crazy too because it was in English. Didn't you guys say too that they change their outfits throughout the flight? Maybe we should open an airline company here and follow their example =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that post Hilary dear... NOT! I read more than half of that with my mouth hanging open flexing my stomach so I wouldn't gag slash die. You are brave to walk so closely to such slimey nastiness and gore. I'd die. I really would in your shoes. Anyway. Very disturbing. But the non- blood/guts/gore/slime sections were good to read :) I love you buddy. Hope you are doing well today.

    ReplyDelete