Friday, February 24, 2012

Babymoon

Charleston South Carolina


This was our "Babymoon" trip we took before Caius came along.
Charleston is just a two and a half hour drive up the coast. We stayed on the Isle of Palms at the Wild Dunes Resort.




The Dunes is a large resort area with time shares, full time residents, and the boardwalk hotel. To get to the ocean from our hotel you have to walk across the boardwalk which is lined with colorful homes. The houses were so cute! I'm guessing they cost a pretty penny.


Wouldn't it be fun to spend summers in those homes!









Looking back at photos.... let's all admit, my face was looking a little puffy :)





Hey there handsome


Going to the beach!



Clinton wanted to play catch with the football. Unfortunately the only person he had to play with was his pregnant wife.

He looked so cute though, I gave in and played for a bit.





This little bird kept getting real close and I wanted to get a picture of it. Every time I'd get close, he'd scurry away. That little booger was fast! So I was the crazy pregnant lady chasing a little bird around with my big camera.



Meanwhile, my husband was playing in the sand. He was playing Army, Soldiers, Fort I don't remember  what he called it. Basically he was trying to build a strong enough Fort to stand against the tide.


He was working pretty hard.


After about an hour of digging, flooding, and starting over and over again, a lady walked over to us and said, "I had to come over and see what he is building. He has been working so hard at it. What is it?" You can imagine how funny I probably sounded explaining, well its a fort and the people are in the middle and if it floods, they all die. So he's trying to protect the "people."... all that coming from the lady who was earlier chasing a little bird around.

We don't go to the beach much :P


See, there is a moat, the walls, the people in the middle, and drainage leading back to the ocean.









We ventured off the Island to go to Charleston for a day. We decided to go on a historic boat tour. We had some time to kill and went to lunch before hand. Unfortunately after lunch we came back to this...


Yep, we got booted.

Smile Clinton!!


In our defense, there was no sign or posting stating that we couldn't park in that lot. Just saying.


Although that wasn't an IDEAL situation, we did find a great restaurant! If you are ever in Charleston you've got to go to the Cru Cafe in the historic district. It's kind of down a little alley.


The restaurant is in an old house. The kitchen is the houses original kitchen and the only dining spaces are on the patio, in the entry room and the little living room area. It's pretty on the inside. It was super busy when we were there. There was long high-top table that could seat eight people. There was a group of four on the end of the table, a couple at the other end of the table, and they squeezed us in between the two groups. It was a great find though. The food was really good. It was the type of restaurant that has a small menu, but they spend time making everything from scratch. Very fresh and tasty! Call ahead if you go though. We were fortunate to get a seat, but we saw lots of people get turned away if they hadn't called ahead.


I think this pink house was a little hotel. This was right across from where we ate.



The cargo ships are absolutely massive.
I thought it was a little eerie that such a huge ship doesn't have any windows. The tour guide informed us that a lot of those ships carry cars. We saw one ship unloading tons of BMW's. :)


There she is... the Carolina Belle.







They kept playing the Gilligan's Island theme song...
that must make him the skipper!




The Captain wasn't really a "hands on" kind of guy









I just liked the name of that boat. "Seas the Day."




This was the view on the way back to our hotel. I think these marshy rivers leading up to the backs of houses are just the coolest. The narrow waterways are full of huge, ocean boats. They were really beautiful when the sun was setting.

It's always nice to get away with Clinton, and Charleston was a fun place to go. I would love to go back again sometime!


1 comment: