Sunday, November 28, 2010

Are you?....married?....

Did someone say married?

I know some of you are curious...and some of you already know. But to put everyone's minds at ease (mainly mine), I am going to set the record straight.
I know people who know, that don't know that I know they know...oh, I know... :)

It's okay, I don't blame anyone for being curious...I would be curious too if it weren't me...and even now, I'm a little curious myself.

Clinton Erich Ellis and I were married June 4th, 2010

 

It's about time for the news to be public and for everyone to know...the rest of the story (said like Paul Harvey.) You may blame me for the delay. Clinton wanted to tell the world the day we got married...I was in hopes that we would have had our ceremony by now... but since we haven't, I'll let you in on our super confidential "secret" :P

As you know, Clinton and I have gone through a long process of paperwork in order to get to the place we are now.  Long story really short...in order to apply for ANYTHING in the military you must first have a military I.D. In order to get a military I.D. you must either a) join the military or b) marry someone in the military.  Clinton received approval to take a leave of absence to come back to the states for a brief visit in order to get married. I had about a week notice to figure out exactly where and when and how we would get married.
 

Because of certain paperwork issues and laws, Clinton and I needed to get married in state other than Iowa.  It's funny how God works everything out perfectly... After much research my mom and I found out that Missouri would work with us on such a short notice.  We both pulled out a map of the state and began calling every county seed we could find.  Once I noticed "Clinton County" I knew that would be the place we would marry. Sure enough... the judge "just so happened" to be available for weddings on the first Friday of each month. (Praise the Lord...that's right when Clinton would be in town!)

June 4th was an extremely hot day. It was the kind of heat that hurts your skin when you go outside.  We left town early that morning in order to be to Missouri by 10:00.  It was kind of surreal riding in the car with Clinton.  No dress, no flowers, no wedding day jitters...just me and him...riding in the car...

After we applied for our marriage license we had some extra time to kill before our 1:00 court time.  We ate lunch at J.J's restaurant and shared a chocolate enchilada for dessert :)  After we ate, we drove around town...if you've ever been to Plattesburg Missouri you know there isn't much town to drive around in!

Finally...the time had come to go back to the court house. Emily and Casey were on their way to be our witnesses.  Clinton and I went to the courtroom and waited for our names to be called. As we sat there, we noticed a sign stating that no shorts were allowed in the courtroom.  I quickly texted Emily to make sure neither one of them were wearing shorts...sure enough, Casey was (I love you case :)  They quickly stopped at Wal-mart and bought a $7 pair of khakis.  As we waited I began to get more and more nervous that they were not going to make it in time.  Finally the Bailiff came out and asked, "Are you the wedding :D ?!" He informed us that there was just one more trial before us and then it would be our turn.  A few minutes later he was escorting a man in orange, chained both around the ankles and the wrist.  I couldn't believe what I saw and I wanted so badly to laugh...what are the odds... (I guess pretty good in a court house.)

The time had come, our names were called...still no Emily and Casey....

I was so nervous...not to get married, but to be in a court room. Eeek!  The Judge read a long beautiful couple of paragraphs about marriage commitment and then had us say our vows.  I guess going into it, I thought we would just sign on the dotted line so I was a little surprised that it was such a production.  It really caught me off-guard when he told us we may now kiss... It surprised me so much that my only response was..."Okay!" ( I said it really loud...there were only 5 of us in the room....Awkward!)... Barbara Babcock and the Bailiff signed our marriage license and we were on our way again. (yes...I know, Barbara Babcock sounds like a made up name...but I tell you the truth)  As we left the court room, Emily and Casey were at the door...
If you can imagine the dissappointment on a five month pregnant woman's face...you can imagine Emily's face at that moment. She knew right away that they had missed it...Casey on the other hand didn't realize right away and was just super super excited for us...in his $7 khakis.

You think that is the end of the story...but no, you are mistaken...

This is Clinton and I...we don't have short simple stories...

A little ways out of town, Clinton and I were speeding along...happy as a lark (whatever that means)...when all of a sudden Clinton says, "I don't have power steering.... I can't accelerate!"... Needless to say, we ended up on the side of the road...( keep in mind it was dragons-breath hot.) Em and Case had been called back to come to our rescue, when a car pulled up to help. The man offered his assistance and preceded to inform us that he was in-fact the mayor of Smithville ( Like I said, I speak the truth...I'm not making this up)  At this point, I began looking to the sky to find the hidden cameras and fake clouds...I was feeling a little bit like I was on the Truman Show.  Long story short, we got a tow...traveled to worst part of Kansas City...almost got mugged (Just Kidding)...and finally ended up in Kansas.  

No attendants, tux's, flowers or cake. No music, dancing, family and friends. Just Clinton and I committing our lives to one another...for as long as we both shall live. It wasn't the wedding I had envisioned, but it was perfect. It was perfectly orchestrated by God. From the beginning of time God knew the plans for our lives and he envisioned this perfect, hot, wonderful wedding day for Clinton and I to remember.  I could not be with a man who gives me more joy and happiness than Clinton does.  He is my best friend and the love of my life... and I am truly honored and blessed to be his wife.

We fully intend to have a ceremony with our families and to celebrate with all our family and friends! It will be a blast remembering and celebrating the commitment we made to one another.  Our families are a huge part of our lives and are responsible for the people we are today.  We can think of no better way to celebrate our love and commitment than with those closest to us.  Through all this...the crazy whirlwind of a year, I can not help but remember all that God has done for Clinton and I. I would not change any of our craziness...it is those crazy moments that I cherish most.

Many are the plans in a person’s heart,
   but it is the LORD’s purpose that prevails.
Proverbs 19:21


















To have and to hold, from this day forward, 
for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, 
in sickness or in health, 
to love and to cherish 'till death do us part. 
And hereto I pledge you my faithfulness.



3 comments:

  1. ahh...I still can't believe we didn't make it! Barbara Babcock took my spot ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I am so happy for you and Clinton.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha...you're funny, Hilary...I like that comment on fb "if you have any questions or concerns...." and I was like "about what?" Haha...I didn't even THINK about that. I just knew you were Hilary Ellis and that was enough for me! Haha! Well, I think you're so right about God having the perfect plan for you two...you are totally made for this lifestyle of a military wife ( I was a military brat, so I know something of this, though not from a wife's perspective). And it seems a very appropriate beginning for a military life, too...waiting in the wings for the unknown, having the unexpected happen more unexpectedly than hoped and here you are, enjoying it to the fullest. You, my friend, were MADE for this. Not to make it seem like it's always easy, though...cause I'm sure one human being can only take "so much." And so I'm praying for you as you are living in constant flux...kinda reminds me of being a missionaries wife. ;) Love your story and thank God for what HE has done in your lives! Oh, and I can't forget this...I ADORE your wedding pics and your dress. Stunning, I say. Stunning. :)

    ReplyDelete