Friday, December 24, 2010

If only in my dreams...

I'm dreamin' tonight of a place I love



Even more then I usually do
And although I know it's a long road back
I promise you

I'll be home for Christmas
You can count on me

I'll be home for Christmas
If only in my dreams...

This song makes me tear up when I hear it this season. I love the holiday season and what it stands for. I love getting together with family and friends. The smells, colors and overall merriment of Christmas warms my heart.  I've never been away from home for Christmas.  It is nice to finally be with Clinton, but I think we both agree that we would like to be 'home' for Christmas this year.  

Sometimes it is hard for me to understand what others are going through if I myself have not experienced something similar. It's hard for me to put myself in their shoes. I have often heard people, commercials, facebook status's asking me to remember soldiers in my thoughts and prayers. While I do pray for soldiers, it has never hit me like this before. Being overseas and seeing all the families, children and soldiers, I realize how many people are affected in order to keep our freedom.  It's almost overwhelming.  Even though we are stationed in a "peaceful" country, the thought of war is surrounding us even now. Realizing that if something would happen and I would be sent back to the United States I would have to leave behind my husband.  No matter how hard you want to hold on to those you love you must always be ready to leave your loved one in harms way to protect the lives of our Country and the world. This thought has been on my mind this Christmas as I think of all the families who are left with memories of loved ones this Christmas because of the sacrifice they have made for us.

Thank you all who serve our country...Military, Police, Firefighters, and Rescue workers of all kinds. May you find peace and hope this Christmas. 


Soldiers Christmas Poem

(disclaimer: this poem makes me tear up a teensy bit...so if your a little sappy and aren't in the mood for tears, then skip this) (maybe it's just me though) (I'm sure SOME people are just surprised my eyes actually make tears :) eh hem...grace)

'Twas the night before Christmas, he lived all alone,
in a one bedroom house made of plaster and stone.
 
I had come down the chimney with presents to give,
and to see just who in this little house lived.
 
As I looked all about, a strange sight I did see,
No tinsel, no presents, not even a tree.
 
No Stockings by mantle, just boots filled with sand,
On the wall hung pictures of far distant lands.
 
With medals and badges, awards of all kinds,
A sobering thought came through my mind.
 
For this house was different, it was dark and dreary,
 The home of a soldier, I could now see clearly.
 
The soldier lay sleeping, silent, alone,
Curled up on the floor in this one bedroom home.
 
The face was so gentle, the room in such disorder,
Not how I picture a United States Soldier.
 
Was this the hero of whom I'd just read?
Curled up on a poncho, the floor for a bed?
 
I realized the families that I saw this night,
owed their lives to these soldiers who were willing to fight.
 
Soon round the world, the children would play,
and grownups would celebrate a bright Christmas day.
 
They all enjoyed freedom each month of the year,
because of the soldiers, like the one lying here.
 
I couldn't help wondering how many lay alone,
on a cold Christmas Eve in a land far from home.
 
The very thought brought a tear to my eye,
I dropped to one knee and started to cry.
 
The soldier awakened and I heard a rough voice,
"Santa don't cry, for this life is my choice".
 
I fight for freedom, I don't ask for more,
My life is my God, my country, my corps."
 
The soldier rolled over and drifted to sleep,
I couldn't control it, I continued to weep.
 
I kept watch for hours, so silent and still,
as we both shivered from the cold night's chill.
 
I didn't want to leave, on that cold, dark night,
this guardian of honor, so willing to fight.
 
Then the soldier rolled over, with a voice soft and pure,
whispered, "Carry on Santa...., It's Christmas Day...., All is secure.
       
One look at my watch, and I knew he was right,
Merry Christmas my friend.... and to all a Good Night.
                        ~ Author Unknown ~

I'm not much into Santa but I like that poem :o) It makes me think of soldiers now and in years past who have spent many lonely nights for me.


Okay, I will stop talking about all the sad things and share some brighter stories with you.


I went to the PX (post exchange [Military Walmart]) to get a couple of new christmas toys for Whit and Avery. I bought an orange squeaky ball along with some other items I needed. The bag was quite large and heavy. I also needed to go to the commissary before I headed home...this isn't really a big deal...I just needed to cross the street and then the parking lot and I was there. Well, due to the heaviness of the bag and it's awkward shape it kept banging against my calf as I was walking. Wouldn't you know it that the darn squeaky toy was in just the right spot that every step I took I squeaked. I tried to reposition but nothing helped. This is one of those times when you wish you had someone to laugh with you... but there is no one to share with.  Of course the parking lot was pretty busy due to crazy holiday shopping. The fairly small parking lot all of a sudden seemed to get bigger and bigger. I just couldn't seem to make it to the commissary fast enough. "Squeak, Squeeeeeak, Squeaker!"... Half way there I just had to start laughing. So I was squeaking and laughing. Ha! Oh BROTHER!



Today, I "redecorated" the tree after the cable guys so clumsily knocked our poor little tree over! (It's not really their fault...it's being held up by canned food.) Since I was fixing the tree anyways, I decided to add some decorations my parents sent me... Whit decided she needed to help me decorate.

She looks like she wants to help...but really she wants to destroy my snowflakes...the little Grinch!

...But she looks so cute...

She was very festive...and hiding under the table because she knew she was being NAUGHTY! (she obviously doesn't know you're not supposed to be naughty this close to Christmas!)



This is Avery's sick look... he's still cute even when he's deathly ill.



Our little Avery is at the vet tonight. He's got a bad virus and has to be hooked up to some IV's.  We are sad he isn't here with us to help celebrate Christmas. We are praying that he makes it through and that we get to spend many years with the little buddy! 

 It's just Whit and I tonight (Christmas Eve.) She's asleep on the chair...she's all tuckered out from all the Christmas "decorating."

Christmas Eve is the night that our family usually does our Christmas. We make appetizers like little smokeys and mozzarella sticks and stuff like that and open our gifts once it's dark.  This year, Clinton and I celebrated early. It's hard to buy gifts and not give it to the person right away! So we jumped the gun. PLUS...we got a new precious (very sick) puppy for Christmas this year...and you HAVE to open that one right away...trust me!

Have a very special Christmas Eve!
AND
Good Morning America! We are sending Christmas your way :o) you should get it a few hours after us. Lots of Love...
and HUGS!

Clinton, Hilary, Whit, and Avery

9 comments:

  1. Hey everyone! Just to let you know...ANYONE should be able to write a comment now. It shouldn't ask you all those annoying questions like before. Let me know if it still doesn't work for you :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, Love, Love your blog. You make me cry and laugh at what you write. The picture of Whit is adorable! Thanks so much for taking the time to update. Have a great time with your friends-Celebrating Christ's birth!!
    Love you and miss you.- mom

    (Ps for those of you who do not have a profile with google or g-mail- in the drop down menu- select profile and click on anonymous. you may want to put your name in your text so your not completely anonymous=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas, Hilary and Clinton!
    We love to read your blogs and see how your adventure in Korea is going.
    I know a little about spending Christmas away from home as an exchange student to Argentina in high school. (I know, ancient history!) May you enjoy Christ's presence as you celebrate His birth, no matter where you are! BIG HUGS to you and Clinton and the puppies!
    God has given you a gift of embracing life with gusto!
    Love, Aunt Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas! We miss you and love reading your blog. Thanks for keeping us updated on what is happening in your lives! Enjoy the day with your friends and may God give you opportunities to be a witness! Love you two!
    Mom Ellis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I waited a while to read your blog and now I know I was right. I miss you and it won't be the same with out you. Merry Christmas, I love you, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I read the second part of your blog this time- I started it, but I'm sitting here with everyone on Christmas day and as I got through the first line I was like- Oh! I don't think I should read this right now!- so i will finish the rest later. Hope whit didn't get coal for Christmas! and I hope Avery is doing ok! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just too cute. I love it. I am so happy that you are getting to enjoy all the joys of life in Korea with your man ; ). And I'm so glad you write it all down for all of us to read! (since you aren't on skype so much any more to keep up with haha)

    But hey, I have some news/thoughts/questions for you about Katie's wedding so we should talk soon!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete