What time is it?!?!
For your information...The time difference between the United States and Korea is 14 hours. An easy and fast way to figure out the time is to add three hours and change the am/pm. For example, if it is 7:00 am (US)... add three hours (10:00) and switch the am/pm (pm). So, 7:00am (US)= 10:00pm(ROK)
In case you didn't know, Clinton and I are millionaires!...in Korea that is. This is 1000 Won, which is a little less than one American dollar. That makes Clinton and I millionaires :P
I have a terrible time keeping track of the zeros...especially when I'm in a hurry. I was at Dunkin Donuts the other day and I gave the lady, what I THOUGHT was 5000 won and found out later I paid with a 50,000 won. That's like using a fifty to buy a donut. While it's not a huge deal, I felt a little dumb for using such a large bill for something so small....without my knowledge.
The lady in the bus ticket booth said, "Twelb tousand Hipteen" (12,015) :D ...It was cute.
I have to say, I am one of those people who is living in a foreign country and does not try to learn the language. I refuse. I'm just kidding...I don't refuse...I just can't. I struggle remembering their words and I have a real hard time pronouncing them! Of course I'm always complaining when I can't understand foreigners in America. What a hypocrite!
I think it must be part of Korean culture to hold your elbow as you hand someone money or other objects...or maybe it's just polite. I've noticed that if someone is handing money to the cashier they place their opposite hand on the elbow of the arm holding the money. You with me? I have not done this yet...but I probably should. I'm just the worst foreigner ever...typical American! :P
Korea...the country of Morning Calm
Korea is only about the size of Indiana. Despite it's tiny size, it is packed with people, skyscrapers and contradiction.
The country is full of new developments and technological advancements, yet they STILL use chopsticks! Still using two skinny sticks when the wonderful fork has been around for centuries. 70% of the Korea is mountains yet it is packed with cement and skyscrapers. I've noticed that there are very new modern things and very old traditional things, but not much in between. In the states you will find some houses with advocado colored carpet from the 70's or a big blue puffy couch from the 80's or 90's (no offense if youhave either or those...they ARE comfy :) but you don't see those here. I have only seen very traditional furniture and houses or very modern clean lined furniture and apartment buildings. It's almost as if there was a 200 year gap...like the 80's never existed in Korea.
It's crazy that I live by an ocean and mountains. I've always wanted to live by mountains...and now that I do, I don't notice too much. I have yet to see the ocean...other than when I flew into the country.
![]() |
| Seoul |
| Seoul |
Clinton and I had to make a trip to Seoul for a fitting for his new uniform. As we were riding on the bus I noticed the Mountains more than ever. We travelled to Seoul the same day that South Korea started the second round of controversial war exercises. The North had threatened catastrophic retaliation if the South went on with the exercises. As you probably know, the South DID go ahead with the exercises and the North did not retaliate. I must admit that on the way to Seoul I was a little unsettled. There were a few mom's and there little boys sitting in the rows in front of us. I had my headphones on, but caught some random words about the air port closing, which was a little alarming. Then they did what ladies do best...pick a little, talk a little, pick a little, talk a little cheap cheap cheap... you know the rest. As they continued talking, I turned my music up a little louder. Shane and Shane comforted my nerves as they sang Psalm 118 to me.
give thanks to the Lord for He is good
His love endures forever
He is my strength and He's my song
His love endures forever
i will proclaim what He has done
His love endures forever
i will enter and give thanks to Him
this holy gate the righteous may enter
i will give You thanks
You answered me, You are my salvation
this is the day the Lord has made
i will rejoice and be glad in it
this is the day the Lord has made
The next song that came on was Shane and Shane's version of Psalm 145
great is the Lord, so worthy of praise
great is the Lord
one generation will
commend Your kingdom
to one another
they will speak of You
and i will meditate
on Your wonder
and they, they will speak
of Your glorious splendor
of Your majesty
everyday i'll praise thee
forever and ever
everyday i will praise
for You open Your hand
and satisfy desires of all things
my God the King
the Lord is gracious
and slow to anger
He is rich in love
He is good to all
all who call on Him
in truth He is near to
and He hears their cry
and saves them
These songs were exactly what I needed. They gave me a peace and calmed my heart down. They reminded me that the Lord's plan is so much greater than I know. Being in "harms way" makes you trust in the Lord and realize He is in control of everything that happens. Sometimes my world is so small. I have to be reminded that I live in a big big world with a BIG BIG God in control of it.
Korea has approximately 48,379,392 people living in this tiny country. One-third of the country lives in Seoul which is in firing range of North Korea. That means that IF North Korea would attack, at least 10,231,217 people in Seoul alone would be in danger. To put that in perspective, New York City has aprox. 8,008,278 people. We all know how it felt on 9/11 when our own country was attacked.
This is Korean versus Korean in close range fighting. Pyongyang (North Korean capital) is home to 3,255,388 people. Both cities are in firing range of one another and would probably be the first to be attacked. If something would happen, it would affect millions of people. Some fighting for their freedom and others fighting against freedom they have never been allowed to experience before. It would be devastating to both countries.
The Lord is in control of all. Like the song says, He is gracious and slow to anger, rich in love and good to all. All who call on Him in truth, He is near to. He hears their cry and saves them."The LORD is trustworthy in all he promises and faithful in all he does. The LORD upholds all who fall and lifts up all who are bowed down." Psalm 145:13b-14
Praise the Lord that there is peace at the moment.
Praise the Lord that there is peace at the moment.





The hand on the arm when giving things is a sign of respect. Depending on the distance your hand is placed between your wrist and elbow, shows the amount of respect. However, I don't remember which way is which, so I just put my hand half way up my arm. :) And as far as speaking Korean, I know Hello and Thank You. I have gotten by well enough in the past year so I haven't gone much further with learning.
ReplyDeleteGood luck to you and hope you enjoy your time here!
-Melissa
Haha I hope the lady at dunkin donuts gave you correct change from your $50 : ).
ReplyDeleteEnjoy so much hearing about what the Lord is teaching you two!
Miss you!
Corrie
Amazing! You can have a Dunkin Donuts in Korea. But we don't have one in Des Moines!
ReplyDelete