Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Couponers, wives, and frugal shoppers alike: I need your help!

Need a snappy outfit on a budget? Don't worry, I'll find the right deals. Want to redecorate your home with little funds? I am always on the lookout for flea market finds and DIY projects. Sometime this week, I am going to try my hand at making my own laundry detergent (once I find a lid for my bucket) which will save some cash. I've been crocheting my own photography props which has saved tons. We have even decided to cloth diaper our babies. Oh yeah! goin' green.

BUT

There is an area that I cannot seem to save money... In fact, I'm completely at a loss when it comes to this. I cannot coupon! The concept of planning meals around the in-store specials, in and of itself is stressful to me. Actually, meal planning in general is stressful to me... but anyways... ad coupons on top of that and my brain actually explodes sometimes. It's messy. ... ... clean up on aisle 4.

Now, as you know, I am the daughter of a grocer. I have lived and breathed the grocery life since I was born. This, however, didn't help me in the "couponing" area. I mean, when you are a little kid you don't pay a whole lot of attention to the price of eggs, and in college I wasn't really buying eggs, and even though I just bought eggs about an hour ago, my baby brain can't remember how much they were. :)

What was I talking about?

Ah, yes. Couponing.

Now I'm going to give you a little insight to the Ellis grocery expenses. First of all, the recipes I have been using are pretty much the same that I had been using prior to moving to Georgia. Not much has really changed in that area. We have been spending close to $100-$200 more a month just on groceries. Like I said, same meals, more money. I can think of three reasons why we may be spending more.

1. We were shopping at a commissary and now we are shopping the local grocery stores. (But, keep in mind the commissary was overseas, which I'm sure has to add to the price a bit. But, maybe it doesn't)

2. We recently moved so we have to buy more of the items that I probably had on hand in Korea such as, condiments, chicken broth, pasta, and frozen goods.

3. We moved to the South. I know the economy stinks all over the board, but I also know that Iowa has not been affected like other states. We might just be getting a taste of the good ol' recession.

Those reasons being said, I am sure the increase in our food budget is probably due to a combination of all three. So now, more than ever, I would really like to find some cost cutting solutions for meals. (who wouldn't)

Coupon Envy:
I'm sure everyone has a person like this in their life... the lady who knows how to make money on her "purchases." Can you even call it a purchase? For me, it was my college volleyball coach, Erin. Now I'm sure some of you reading this actually thought of Erin right away, because you know her and she is probably "that lady" in your life as well. She would hop on the shuttle with her new free or almost free product from Walgreens and say, "I just got this new Chapstick... I used a coupon and rebate, so I'm actually making $1.75"....

Really?
So, Erin, if you ever read this, you are my coupon envy :)

Coupon clipping:
I HAVE watched the TLC "Extreme Couponing" show. Two problems: First of all, THAT show, and those who coupon like those on the show are actually hurting everyone else because grocery stores are now cracking down on their coupon rules and making it harder to get those good deals. Second of all, while they do walk out with a cart full of stuff for $35 they also are walking out with a cart full of not-so-healthy food. Two carts full of spaghetti-O's, while cheap, may not be the best diet plan. That being said, after watching the show it DID leave me feeling very empowered and ready to get to clipping. I went and found the paper that had been sitting outside for four days and I flipped open to the Ads ready to do some serious saving! After a few short seconds though, my couponing bubble had been clipped and I was about ready to throw in the towel. "Buy 2 Glade plug-ins get $0.25 off your next Glade purchase." Really? That's the best you can give me? I continued to read through and all I could find were little .25 off this and .15 off that, which I'm sure adds up in the end.... to about a dollar. That was just not what I was looking for. I was looking to buy a cart load and have the store pay ME five dollars! ;) What?! It happens on the show!

Coupon printing:
A few days later, I realized I was doing this whole couponing thing all wrong. The people save the most money when they have multiple retailer coupons ON TOP of the in-store coupons! I have got to get me some retailing coupons. "But how?" I asked. "Online of course!" (by this point I am sounding a little bit like I've got a couple different personalities) I signed up for one of the couponing websites. In the process of filling out information for the coupon website you also have to fill out a couple dozen pages of information and click on special offers that you would like to receive. I'm pregnant, as you know so when I saw a Huggies ad, I said yes. Then I saw a Kellogs ad, and said yes to those offers. I signed up for a free subscription to a parenting magazine (Hey, it's free).... Needless to say, within the next 24-48 hours my inbox was jammed full of all these dumb "deals." None of which were really any good. Most of them were for special offers or contests. So, my e-mail couponing experience was also a flop.

Coupon whining:
So far "coupon clipping" hasn't gotten me too far and "coupon printing" has only left me with an inbox full of frustration. So, here I am, "coupon whining". Telling all my friends and family about how terrible I am at couponing in hopes that some of you might pass on your frugal grocery shopping wisdom.

Grandmas, moms, friends, sisters, and any random men that read my blog...I need your tips, recipes, ideas, and techniques!

Thanks for hearing me out :)

I will post the recipe and photos of my laundry soap experience in the next couple of days. I'm sure with as simple as it is to make I will have a couple dozen things go wrong... and I will tell you all about it!





1 comment:

  1. Haha! Love. I am not a coupon-er and if you know me very well you know I am pretty ocd about what we eat, turns out there aren't that many coupons for real food and other products I buy anyway. Secretly I am relieved! Wading through junk mail/email is overwhelming and so very time consuming! Instead I buy in bulk; I buy oat meal in 25 lb bags, dish soap in 5 gallon buckets, rice, beans, shampoo...you get the drift :-) it's hard at first because you spend more upfront, but then your supplies last forever! I also do this shopping on line. It limits impulse buying, I can compare lables in my jammies and overall save money and I'm less stressed (4 kids at hy-vee=bad news).

    Ps I have made my own laundry soap and if its the same kind; borax, fels naptha, arm and hammer something?) It doesn't work well on cloth diapers. My favorite laundry soap is biokleen. You just have to be picky because most soaps leave a residue (fragrance,softner ect) on your clothes, and when that residue is on diapers they retian their smell :-( plus let's be honest, you don't want that stuff touching baby's skin anyway. So just a heads up before you make 50 lbs lol :-)

    Lauren Gideon

    ReplyDelete