Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Just a little pregnancy update



From the very moment I found out I was pregnant I just knew it was a boy. I had been confident that it was a boy for all twenty-two weeks, but as I watched Clinton's reaction as he watched the ultrasound monitor I felt like it was a girl. Afterwards I told Clinton that either my "mothers intuition" is really good and I've known the whole time OR I'm really good at reading Clinton's face and it's a girl. As you know by now, I guess I'm just really terrible at reading Clinton's face.
 
This onsie is how I found out we were having a boy!
It was cute... Clinton was so excited to tell me that while we were eating lunch he finished early so that he could go buy my gift. Once he bought it he was ready to go home to give it to me!


 I knew it, I knew it, I knew it!

Several weeks ago I experienced some contractions that were unlike the normal Braxton hicks that I often  have. Once they started they were very close together. I was feeling a radiating pain in my back during each one. They lasted about forty-five seconds and were about two minutes apart. Thankfully they progressively got further apart over time and eventually stopped a couple of hours later. Being a first time mom, I have been very curious to find out what real contractions will feel like. After that day, I do think I have a better idea of the "type" of pain it will be and a better understanding of what to look for. I'm actually kind of looking forward to labor. I just want to see what it feels like. Every woman who has ever had a baby has their own experience and description of labor, but you just can't really know until you experience it yourself. (I'm sure every mom reading this is laughing right now.)


After I had those "back contractions" I got online to ask my friend, Google, about back labor. I learned that back labor usually occurs when the baby's spine is facing the mom's spine. It was then that I KNEW he was being naughty and facing the wrong way. It did clear up a lot of questions in my mind, like how sometimes he just disappears in the morning, leaving my belly just looking chubby and not pregnant. Or how I can wear my normal jeans buttoned all the way up. Or why my back hurts a lot despite my fairly small belly. It's because he's laying along my spine like a hammock instead of sticking his bottom out for everyone to see!



The midwife felt around this past week and confirmed my theory. He is head down and "Sunny side up" as they call it. At the first "tiny toes" class Clinton and I went to, we got a handout of ways to get your baby to roll over. I'm supposed to spend a lot of time on my hands and knees. Clean the floors, lean over the sink doing dishes, crawl up the steps on hands and knees, etc. This is supposed to let gravity go to work to flip him over. Supposedly we can also try playing music or a recording of my voice to one side of my belly to try to get him to turn towards it. We've got a few more weeks to try to flip him! I'm gonna have some clean floors :)


My first glucose tolerance test came back slightly elevated so I had to go back for the extended four hour test. I don't do well with getting my blood drawn and that day I had it drawn every hour. It made for a fun day. Thankfully I didn't get light-headed and have to lay down like I sometimes have to :P I heard, on the radio, that they were doing a blood drive at the Krispy Kreme Donut in town. At first I thought that was just hilarious... get jacked up on sugar, take a pint of blood and drive home. Then it dawned on me, they should do that for the glucose test! A Krispy Kreme donut would be a delicious way to get a sugar high! My test result came back a little high again, so I may have to do the four hour test again at thirty-six weeks. Thirty-six weeks is a little late in the game in my opinion, but we'll see. Woman are at a higher risk for gestational diabetes if...
  • They are a member of any racial or ethnic group with a high prevalence of diabetes such as Hispanic, African, South or East Asian, Pacific Island, and so on...
...Which I am not
  • Over 35
... I'm 23
  • Have high blood pressure
... Never
  • Have a strong family history or diabetes
.... eh, not really a "strong" history and no one in my immediate
  • Are obese 
... not obese

I was a little surprised to find out my results were high and now all I want are sweet things!!


I wouldn't say pregnancy is everything I thought it would be. Sometimes I wish I was like a marsupial so that I could take my belly off, go do what I need to do and then put it back on at the end of the day. I guess it doesn't work that way. I often underestimate how far I'm sticking out and will accidentally get stuck on things. Kind of frustrating. I do try to be a good pregnant mom.  I TRY to drink water and to eat regularly. I've even asked for help a few times when I needed some furniture moved. Even though I've had a pretty easy pregnancy, I am ready to not be pregnant. I'm excited to actually have a baby to hold.


At our "tiny toes" class there was a lady sitting to the right of me that looked like she had read every pregnancy book out there. I leaned over to Clinton and said, "See that lady, she's an over achiever pregnant woman... just watch." 

She had her bottle of water and comfy shoes. She was about the same build as I am but her belly was big and round. She kept sitting on the edge of her chair  with her legs slightly spread (like you are supposed to). She would also occasionally rock from side to side. Half way through the class she stood up and continued rocking and then started stretching her legs.

Meanwhile I was slouching in my chair, legs crossed, wearing my high-heeled boots and skinny jeans. She was the A+ pregnant woman and I was the dropout.

She was probably the girl in school that reminded the teacher that there was supposed to be a quiz that day.

-----------------
This week my mom is coming to help me finish things up. We've got a lot on our to-do list. Making and freezing meals for this winter, working on the baby boy's quilt, finishing up the nursery, painting furniture and doing all those things that I just can't do by myself while Clinton is as work. It should be fun!


Other than the long to-do list, I am completely ready to meet this little guy! We are in the final stretch. I can't believe he will be here next month!



1 comment: