Monday, November 7, 2011

Puppies, Puppies everywhere

SO....

I found a dog

A few weeks ago, as I was heading home from picking up another great craigslist purchase, I saw a dog aimlessly walking in the middle of the road. I slowed down and the dog sat down right in front of my car. I looked around to see if there was anyone running after the dog, but there wasn't. All I saw was a man and a dog further down the road. I got out of my car and called the dog over, let it sniff me and then picked it up and put it in my car. I pulled up a little further and asked the man walking his dog if he had ever seen this dog before... he responded with a very thick Georgia accent, "Nooo." (You know an accent is thick when it only takes one word to hear it) Well, thanks a lot buddy!

I took the dog to the nearest animal hospital to check to see if he had a microchip, which he didn't. I also asked if they knew of any animal shelters in the area. The lady said, "No not really, looks like you get to take him home with you!"... Really? Okay, one last question... "Can you at least tell me if he has fleas?"

Why did I even ask? Of course he did. The only stray dog I've ever saved just had to have fleas.

So I took him home and kept him in a kennel in the garage. I realized that being so close to Clinton's birthday, I should probably let him know ahead of time that the furry guy in the garage was NOT an early birthday gift! (I didn't want to get his hopes up)

I was going to find a place for him to go the next day, Buuuuuuut I didn't. With the help of my parents, we were able to take him to stay for a week at the vet so that he could get de-flead, bathed, and vaccinated while Clinton and I went on our trip to Charleston. That was three and a half weeks ago....

and, he's still here.

It's shocking how hard it is to find a family willing to take a nice little dog and I'm learning that a lot of animal shelters in the area can't guarantee they won't put him down. I'm not going to take him somewhere just so that they can kill him! No way, Jose. If it wasn't for the two dog limit on our lease we would just keep him, but since we can't....

Leopold, it looks like you are getting a brother! My mom (and dad) must have the same canine soft spot and they have agreed to "adopt" John. John, that's his name. Clinton and I have always said that if we got another dog we would name him John. That way we would have John Avery Whitaker. So, naturally when Clinton came home from work to meet the puppy, he said, "look, it's John!"

It'll be fun for Leopold to have John (I hope... fingers crossed they get along) John kind of looks like a really small German Shepherd. So they'll look like brothers :P

Leopold, just don't eat John!


John John had to stay outside for a bit because I was completely grossed out by the flea thing. I thought we were going to have to bug bomb the house and I was just thinking about all the baby stuff and ICK!

We gave him a special flea killing pill, made him stay in the garage, got some special house spray from the vet, and our dogs got an extra dose of flea medicine this month!

When I went to the vet clinic, the veterinarian gave me some information on fleas. I read that for every flea you see there are 40 that you don't see..... Oh My Goodness....

As she was talking to me about fleas I started itching my head, which she found comical. She also informed me that you can get a tape worm, yes a TAPE WORM, from swallowing one! Then she said, "So don't sleep with your mouth open! Ha ha!" ....Oh My Goodness!

I just imagined these bugs multiplying around our house, in our bed, under the couch, in the carpet, on all the dogs, in the baby's swing, in my car....

Even after we came home from our trip, every time I hopped in bed I would ask Clinton, "Do you feel itchy?" "No".... (2 minutes later) "Are you sure you don't feel itchy??" 

Then I would wake up thinking, "Oh No! I think my mouth was open...."

It's okay though. In hindsight I don't think John actually HAD fleas. I think he had some on him from walking around outside, but the pill took care of them all the first day. We never saw a flea after his first night in the garage. 

At first I was completely grossed out...

Then I said he could come in the house (this was after he had spent the week at the vet clinic) IF he was on a leash...

Then I said he could be off the leash in the house...

I guess he can sleep in our room in his kennel...

Okay, he can sleep on the bed...

Yep, I'm a pushover when it comes to puppy dogs. He really is a nice boy and he LOVES to be close to people. It didn't take long for him to fit into the Ellis house.


 Sometimes he just can't get close enough. He just get's right up in your double chin to cuddle.

Ellis dogs are lazy!

The baby belly is hanging out, classy I know.
 Oh, John John....


Avery and Whitaker didn't really seem to care that there was a new dog in the house. They are all friends. Whit just has one more brother to fight for food. (It's rough being the little one but she can hold her own)


There are two little quarks about John. He barks like a smoker, man-dog. The first time he barked was a little startling coming from a fairly small dog. He also has a problem with any kind of loud or high pitched noises. He just freaks out!




See what I mean!


Well, that is Whit telling you all goodbye for now!


1 comment:

  1. Funny, funny! That picture of you and him coming up to your chin looks like a cartoon :) this one made me laugh :)

    ReplyDelete